Early Spring Garden
To make life easier, this garden planner shows you at a glance what jobs need
to be done and when.
This is the beginning of the gardening year and is a busy period for
gardeners, but keep off the lawn and soil if they are frozen or wet still, and don't
attempt to dig until the weather improves.
Have soil tested by your county Cooperative Extension and adjust pH to 6.0
- Start weeding - pull small seedlings by hand but dig out the roots of
perennials such as dandelions.
- Prepare the soil for planting by forking it over and digging in organic
Sow seeds of hardy and tender bedding plants indoors.
- Plant summer-flowering bulbs and perennials.
- Prune bush roses.
- Prune deciduous shrubs and climbers that flower later in the summer, such
as butterfly bush.
- Lift and divide oversized clumps of perennials. Remember to discard dead
or unproductive sections in the middle of the clump.
- Rake the lawn and remove other debris.
- Plant dormant bare-root roses, lily bulbs on arrival.
- Wait to prune established roses until leaf buds swell. Fertilize at that
Plant organic asparagus and rhubarb roots, seeds of beets, carrots, Swiss chard,
kohlrabi, peas, radishes, spinach and turnips, sets of lettuce and cabbage,
onion and potato sets.
- Disinfect containers to used for patio plants or summer hanging baskets
with bleach solution.
Weed Solutions -
The simplest way to prevent an
abundance of weeds is to pull weeds before they set seed, but here are a few
home solutions for you to try.
- Heinz white vinegar poured directly on
the weeds. To kill weeds in the garden or between the cracks in the sidewalk
- Pour salt on weeds on a dry, sunny day kills weeds.
Avoid getting salt on any plants you want to thrive.
- Give your weeds a stiff drink of Vodka. Mix three
tablespoons vodka and two cups water in a trigger-spray bottle. Spray weeds
well, without getting the alcohol solution on other plants. The vodka
dehydrates the weeds.
- You can find corn gluten based products for
an organic approach as well. Follow the label directions for application rates
and where to use.
- Use boiling water in order to scald the foliage and
Have you looked at our flower picture gallery?